Position Title: Preserving Chef/Cook
Classification: Permanent Part-Time
Hours of Work: 3 days - daytime hours. For the right person, full-time could be negotiated
Location: Oakleigh, Melbourne
The Corner Store Network has an exciting opportunity for a creative chef/cook to take the reins of our internationally recognised preserving program that sees donated produce turned into delicious preserves with the help of a wonderful team of volunteers.
We are seeking someone passionate about sustainability, reducing food waste and food systems change and who loves working with local, organic, and seasonal foods.
The CSN Preserving Chef/Cook position is a multi-dimensional role best suited to a dynamic individual with a strong interest in preventing food waste and teaching others. The role involves delivering CSN’s key preservation program – volunteer preservation sessions, utilising rescued food and turning it into high-quality preserved goods while prioritising community engagement. The CSN Preserving Chef/Cook will convey the spirit, excitement and innovation of the CSN brand.
This role is responsible for our volunteer preserving kitchen; therefore, we are seeking someone who is not only a skilled chef/cook but also possesses strong communication and teaching skills. Applicants must show strong leadership and be comfortable teaching and demonstrating to volunteers of all skill levels.
Your role will involve leading volunteers through all stages of preserving, developing new recipes, adhering to food-safe preservation techniques, sharing tips and tricks, and empowering others to minimise food waste at home.
At The Corner Store Network, we believe in the power of food to bring people together and create positive change. If you have a passion for food, a collaborative spirit, and a desire to make a difference, this role is perfect for you!
What we’re offering
- Permanent part-time position with excellent working conditions and daytime weekday hours (for the right person, full-time could be negotiated)
- Opportunity to evolve the program and have genuine input into its direction
- Ability to bring your understanding of sustainable, local and seasonal food to our unique location and vibrant community
- Work with our wonderful volunteer community to build on the existing preserving program.
What we are about
The Corner Store Network is a Melbourne-based non-profit social enterprise incorporating an artisanal coffee roastery, food preservery and low-waste café.
We work to create specialty coffee, food preservation, climate action and community connection for the benefit of people and the planet.
Our mission is to Preserve The Future. In this regard, we are preserving what we currently have here and now whilst ensuring that generations to come can continue to have a healthy and liveable future. Through coffee and preserves, we’re fighting to reduce waste, end hunger and replenish the planet. We want to overhaul outdated, wasteful food systems and provide an equitable future through food rescue, education, community engagement, and innovation.
About the role
The Preserving Cook/Chef is responsible for our volunteer preserving kitchen; therefore, we are seeking someone who is not only a skilled chef/cook but also possesses strong communication and teaching skills. Applicants must show strong leadership and be comfortable teaching and demonstrating to volunteers of all skill levels. The role will involve leading volunteers through all stages of preserving, developing new recipes, adhering to food-safe preservation techniques, sharing tips and tricks, and empowering others to minimise food waste at home.
- Collection and sorting of donated glut produce, large variation in quantities, seasonal changes. This can involve:
- picking of fruit from local backyards, nature strips & farms
- distribution of large excesses of produce to local food banks
- Planning and coordination of volunteer preserving sessions. This involves;
- the selection of recipes and batch sizes to process donated produce
- supervision of 4 weekly volunteer sessions to ensure that preserves are created to a consistent standard and safely bottled
- training of new volunteers in processes for preparing, cooking and bottling preserves
- labelling of preserves with nutritional information, ingredients and serving suggestions
- Ordering, stock and wholesale management
- General kitchen cleaning/maintenance
- General admin & record keeping for the program using Excel & Dropbox
- Support collaborations between CSN and other social enterprises/community groups with the assistance of the volunteer team
- Current and Valid Police Check
- Minimum Certificate 3 in hospitality/Commercial cookery
- 3 years full-time experience inclusive of approved professional cookery training
- Food Safety Supervisor trained and understanding of the CSN Safe Food Handling Policy
- Previous employment as a working chef (Chef De Partie, Station Cook/Chef or Restaurant Cook/Chef)
- Previous teaching experience
- Previous preserving experience
- Current First Aid Certificate
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to share knowledge and skills in a friendly and relatable manner
- Creative and able to adapt to seasonal donations
- Team-orientated with a solution-focused approach
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to be adaptable, innovative, calm and quick-thinking
- Competent and confident in a kitchen environment
If this sounds like your jam (!), we would love to hear from you. For the right person, there is an opportunity for this to be a full-time, Monday – Friday role.